Select Page

On an early Friday morning, some friends and I gathered into our car and went down to Brownie. I had not expected Finn and his dad to get up so early. Even on their first fossil-hunting expedition, they were so dedicated that they were ready to go at five o’clock. By the time we got there, it occurred to us that even though we were early, fellow hunters had already gotten to the beach. Even so, we were optimistic. It was on a similar day that I found two big Megalodons in the same area. Everyone else there had not waited for low tide. We took our time to look where cloudy waters had originally covered the sands.

We trekked out onto the beach in our boots and hip-waders. Low tide was hours away, so my dad gave his waders to Finn, who gladly accepted them due to the deeper waters on the bend that occur before the taller cliffs. We then waded past the bend and started to search the promising cliff falls. Within entering the first cove, Finn’s dad discovered a pristine snaggle in the cliffs. We congratulated him because it was the first nice find so far.

During the trip, Finn asked many questions. I answered them and gladly gave him basic instructions on what the fossils would look like, what he would find there, and how to spot them in the water. He listened carefully and came back every once in a while with nice finds to show me, including some of the more interesting shells. Early on I found a nice growth plate to show Finn. I had been so busy looking down, Finn’s dad was the first to spot similar fossils on a fallen log. They happened to be nice big vertebrae. Someone else had put them on the branch for the next person to find, which sometimes happens at Brownie.

As the tide went out, we kept looking. A lady passed us and while we were still going out farther, and came back quickly. Her finds were impressive for such a quick trip, but she had lived there for a few years, and knew where and when to go from experience. I had a multi-pointed sand tiger in nice condition that she was surprised at as well. After she passed, we found many other fossils, including shark teeth, cetacean bones and many sharks’ teeth from a few different species.

By the end of the trip we were all very tired and ready for a few sandwiches on the ride home. Field work is still where my heart is.